This post is about the JingOists.
Can I let you in on my strategy for inspecting my thesis that "There Is No Black Political Consciousness", there is only a "Progressive Political Consciousness That Hopes To Use The Democratic Party To Drive PROGRESSIVE ENDS Within The Black Community", results be damned?
The trick is to remain disciplined over the fact that various politicians (friends and foe) are merely "Actors on the sage". To appraise the present condition of "Black Consciousness" you must turn away from the stage and keep your eye affixed upon the crowd.
- Note the VOICE that they assume when they talk about their fortunes while "friend" or "foe" is in power
- Note how much they are willing to compromise their "Institutional Integrity" as a necessary means of protecting "favorable people in power"
- Note how they practice "Establishment Power Repudiation" - despite having the balance of power in a "Mission Accomplished Zone" they are prone to point to the "Soft Tissue Injury Of RACISM" to proclaim that the policies that they have voted into power as "the last man standing" where they live were not sufficient to over come HISTORY'S DAMAGE upon their person
General Motors Is Alive - In Your Choice To "Self-Chum Yourselves" With The Condition Of A Former Corporate Capitalist Enemy - You Also Must Stand By Its Present Antics
It pains me to see people who adopt certain "bumper sticker rhetoric" as they attempt to take a highly complex situation and convert it into a "Tweet". As a person who spends an extraordinary amount of time reading various news streams that are fed into society - in different subjects - the observation that the highly complex world of finance can be reduced to fit onto a bumper sticker is quite disturbing.
TO BE CLEAR - I do not like it when Republicans who otherwise argue the "The President Does Not Create Jobs" are seen chomping at the bit to attack Obama over his weak job growth trajectory. In both cases POLITICS forces people to compromise what they know to not be the case - all for a transactional sense of victory over their ideological opponent.
In the case of General Motors - you are not likely to hear the latest news about what GM has done to seal the fate of its former subsidiary SAAB via the channels that are synchopants of the bumper sticker above (in this case Daily KOS).
- Autoblog: Spyker Files $3 Billion Lawsuit Against GM In SAAB Bankruptcy
- NYTimes: Suit Claims GM Blocked Plans To Rescue SAAB
- Detroit Free Press: General Motors Sued For $3B By Automaker Who Claims Damaged Over The Botched SAAB Deal
In summary - GM is accused of blocking a deal that would have allowed its former holding, SAAB to stay afloat if GM did not act to resist allowing a Swedish firm to purchase SAAB and then market the vehicle in the fast growing Chinese market. As a result , the lawsuit claims, several thousand jobs in SAAB's home country of Sweden.
This post is not about the details of the deal.
This post is an observation of the likelihood that an "Obama Fist Bump Media Operative" that has propagated the bumper sticker above would show sufficient transparency and report on the latest news about GM.
Please recall - A few months ago GM decided to purge over on hundred thousand of its retirees off of its pension roles - giving them a cash out payment instead.
Now we all know that the ONLY reason that you are singing GM's praises is because President Obama is singing GM's praise because he used "Debt Stimulating Debt Money" to assist GM. When it comes to GM acting in its own corporate best interests - it is highly likely that this temporary love affair - intended to send alms to Obama - will be short lived.
Where do we see this model at play:
* A central authority that is on the hook for a "Defined Benefits" plan, decides to offer lump sum payments in order to mitigate its financial exposure?
I know: Paul Ryan's Medicare Voucher plan in which Medicare would shift to a (more) state oriented program. The federal government offering a fixed amount in vouchers and the states needing to promote efficiency in order to maximize its health care spend for seniors.
Do you see - as long as you only consider GM at the SURFACE you are motivated to put aside your normal defense stance against corporate behavior and instead sing the praise of its continued existence. Of course this is not a cheer for GM. You are cheering Obama's action for "saving" GM. (I won't even go into the fact that GM was a victim of labor contracts that saddled it with debt and lead to its ultimate demise).
Since there is so many examples of the grand compromise of your "institutional integrity" in support of favorable people in power - is it possible that your antics against the "ideological enemy" when he is in power is similarly staged? (Or do you plan to protest against war - with the recent crash of the US Blackhawk helicopter in Afghanistan?)