I like NPR's Michel Martin. I am not being patronizing. I really do.
When it comes to filtering her ideological disposition and instead prioritizing the value of the Black-themed stories that she presents - I apply the same line of reasoning that brought our community the "Lesser Of Two Evils" construct with respect to question of the political representation for the Black community. Even though Ms Martin is a unrepentant "Progressive" - I know that there is a far larger membership of the "NABJ" (and unaffiliated like minded operatives) who don't allow their journalistic standards to counterbalance their progressiveness, as does Mrs Martin. They see their profession and the CHANNEL through which they project their bias. I credit Mrs Martin for at least attempting to note that in the context of a prescription that has not cured our community's ills, as promised when we made the co-payment, there is another set of beliefs that exist beyond her own.
In the "Can I Just Tell You?" segment of the show "Tell Me More" Mrs Martin constructs an argument that justifies my prior motivations in establishing what I call the "Dark Matter Analysis" technique.
Mrs Martin says: If Black people VOTED BLACK then the various Black Republicans that she listed would receive popular support from Black people. She, in turn says that BLACK PEOPLE PREFER THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY PLATFORM. Then she goes on to tell us how WHITE FOLKS supported John McCain.
IF the goal is affirmation that "Black people are normal people who assess what is in alignment with their interests and affirm them accordingly" - I have no protest with Mrs Martin's analysis.
HOWEVER - since I reject the BINARY argument of "Democrat or Republican" as the channel through which the Black Community pursues its development - Mrs Martin's analysis is faulty. She is more motivated in justifying the present course, looking past the short falls in "return on investment" BECAUSE "White folks do the same thing with Republicans".
The Pictorial Evidence of "GREAT Negro SATISFACTION" that Michel Martin Has Enumerated
Mrs Martin - Please Allow Me To Introduce The Value Of The "Dark Matter Analysis", Providing A Necessary Constraint To Your Argument
You talked about what BLACK PEOPLE PREFER.
In my longitudinal analysis of "What Makes The Prevailing Black Political Consciousness Tick" I note that the appraisal of this PREFERENCE must be..........................
- Attached to some larger architectural goals - (ie: The standard of living of the Black community being elevated up to a desired higher standard)
- Must contain both INFRASTRUCTURE and INSTITUTIONAL INTEGRITY ENFORCEMENT lest it become a perpetual confidence scheme
- Must have some Management and Measurement Tools to provide 'constructive feedback' upon the geographic coordinates of "The Struggle", its course and heading
(Note a measure like the National Urban League in which WHITE FOLKS are the "perfect 1.0" is NOT a construct that a people who are seeking to dismantle their own "Non-White White Supremacist" consciousness should adopt as a measurement tool. If they ever find themselves away from the radiation of "White folks" they will lose their key index).
I would like to flip Mrs Martin's index around - changing it from "WHAT BLACK PEOPLE PREFER" over to the following................
AT WHAT POINT WILL THE BLACK RANK & FILE BE COMPELLED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FULL EQUALITY OF THE 'FAVORABLE PEOPLE' THAT THEY HAVE ELECTED INTO POWER, AGREEING TO RELIEVE THEM OF THEIR POSITION IF THEY FAIL TO PROVIDE THE PROMISED "RETURN ON INVESTMENT" AS A MEANS OF LIMITING THEIR EXPOSURE TO A "CONFIDENCE SCHEME"? AS PROOF OF LONG TERM OWNERSHIP OF THEIR DESTINY - OVER TIME, IF 'PERSONNEL CHANGES' DON'T DO THE TRICK THEN "THE BLACKS" ARE COMPELLED TO LOOK TOWARD MORE FUNDAMENTAL STRUCTURAL CHANGES - THUS PROVING THAT THEIR GOAL IS REALIGNMENT TOWARD GREATNESS AND NOT RELATIVE CONTENTMENT WITH THEIR PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES.
Mrs Martin - take a look at that framework above and then compare it to the one that you provided to us on your radio show. (I listen everyday - you know)
- An inferred agreement between the "Rank & File" and Leadership on a particular METHODOLOGY for DEVELOPMENT
- The INVESTMENT in this METHODOLOGY in support of its execution
- TIME INTERVAL through which the EFFICACY of the METHODOLOGY is appraised
- EXPLICIT RESISTANCE to the fusion of the COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AGENDA to the BIORHYTHM Of The STATE INSTITUTIONS and ELECTION CYCLE - lest the CONFIDENCE SCHEME, as warned by Malcolm X in reference to the "Malcolm X Political Football Game' where the Negro is made into a FOOTBALL in play as two breeds of canine have their way with him
- A TRANSPARENT governing body and MOST IMPORTANTLY............................AN INDEPENDENT MUCKRAKING PRESS - who HAS NO FRIENDS AMONG THE CONFIDENCE MEN, serving as their PRESS AGENTS.
- When they interview the Mayor Of Baltimore, asking her about her PLAN FOR CITY REVITALIZATION - instead of asking her about how OTHER RIGHT WING cities are opposed to becoming "Sanctuary Cities" for Illegal Immigrants - SHE INSTEAD is asked her to explain why the ORIGINAL NEGROES with "Slave Blood" are not the basis for the city's revival. WHAT about the INSTITUTIONS that the Mayor and the City Council now dominate has FAILED to DEVELOP ITS NEGROES? Why haven't these same Negroes relieved them all of their duties? Will the new Hispanics one day demand their own council seat at the expense of "The Blacks" as is the case in Chicago and Compton? (West Side!)
- A MACRO-TIME FRAME where - if upon observing that the PLAN HAS NOT LEAD TO MORE ORGANIC DEVELOPMENT - the rank and file PUSH the MACHINE that they have assisted in building up to relieve themselves of duty for they have FAILED to follow through on their original promises.
- As a necessary check on all of the above - the "Public Intellectuals" are REASSIGNED. They no longer pontificate on C-SPAN or MSNBC but instead are made to precisely enumerate all of the ORGANIC COMPETENCIES that the American Negro has now developed and where these skills can be DEPLOYED in some other DIASPORATIC CENTER around the globe - assisting the REAL LEAST OF THESE with ACTUAL SOCIAL JUSTICE. If there is a drought of evidence then they will develop a "Study Of 'The Blacks' Today - Black Studies Course" at the online university: "Constructive Feedback University" - as a means of course correct.
Do you see how your argument centers upon "Black Preference" as the SUPERIOR goal?
I was in West Philly 3 weeks ago. I saw a city who's neighborhoods were crumbling (in some areas) but who had a high amount of contentment in their political leadership, MOSTLY because an alternative track was never exposed to them.
As CONSUMERS they are conditioned to accept what is presented to them. They believe that despite the fact that "The New Tide With Scrubbing Bubbles" has not gotten their white undergarments clean to the point that they desire, the store brand that is presented in the Korean owned retail store in their "Food Desert" is not a viable alternative. They just grin and bear it.
Yet I notice in the underground newspaper a new crop of young PROGRESSIVE Black activists are now gunning for the city council and state representative seats of the old crop of PROGRESSIVE BLACK activists who were impaneled into power since the 1980's.
At that time they were charged with "Speaking Truth To Power" on behalf of the community, in the legislative body that they sought membership in.
Mrs Martin - IF we just stopped at the CONTENTMENT that is felt by this long-suffering Black community in having a voice in the city and state legislature as they don their "virtual hoodies" in the chambers to send messages back to the people - this would not help us to explain the lack of ORGANIC DEVELOPMENT within these communities - despite having favorable people in power.
I should also add that in Philly and other "Mission Accomplished Cities" that marginalized "ward leader" who became "the first Black city councilman" IS NOW fully impaneled into the entire municipal government. He is the mayor, city council president, police chief, district attorney, head of indigent defense and handsomely represented as judges on the bench.
The main point of this diversion, Mrs Martin is that your "CONTENTMENT" meme doesn't factor for the evidence of "Establishment Power" and its need to be made accountable for the DEVELOPMENT OF THE HUMAN RESOURCES - just as it convinced the people it would as it received the investments of their "Equal Black Ballots".
No one needs to tell me about the frivolity of seeking to FORCE a people to ENFORCE their own integrity. Its not going to happen.
What this down show to the larger world that is casting an eye upon the antics of the Black community is:
"IF they are loathed to protest outside of a government building that is occupied by a FAVORABLE PERSON, after this same government fails them or assaults them - just as they experienced before and were compelled to protest.................WE MUST THEN CONCLUDE that the Negro is NOT INTERESTED IN 'GOOD LIVING'. He is ONLY interested in AFFIRMING HIS IDEOLOGICAL ENTRENCHMENT.
If his demand for CIVIL RIGHTS PROTECTIONS can be vocalized or withdrawn based on NOTHING MORE than WHO THE VIOLATOR OF THEM IS - then the only conclusion that a rational person can make is that IN HIS PRESENT CONSCIOUSNESS - the American Black is now USING HIS OWN BODY as a FOOTBALL in the Malcolm X Political Football Game.
IF the display of his molested and bruised body would HURT the incumbent that he favors - so he refuses to testify - then it is up to the SOCIAL JUSTICE ADVOCATES to compel him to testify AS A HOSTILE WITNESS because in their imminent wisdom, the Social Justice Advocate realizes that the Negro Does Not Always Act In His Own Best Interests - and sometimes needs to be forcibly compelled to ACT CONSISTENTLY."
In as much as it is true that the Black Racial Services Machine is interested in COMPLIANT NEGROES in reference to THEIR AGENDA, that are only unsaleable radicals