With the majority of the university's football team and basketball team as Black it was about time to bury the old Civil War relic in favor of something a bit less offensive.
Again I point you to the excellent documentary from HBO that showed what the initial Black students and players of Ole Miss had to deal with less than 50 years ago.
2) Rev Joseph Lowery Chooses To "Clean Up The Streets Of Atlanta" With Brooms Rather Than Going After Those Who Are Killing And Assaulting Black People On The Streets Named After His And His Friends From The Civil Rights Movement
Just a few short days after seeing 4 Atlanta zip codes listed in the "Top 25 Most Violent Zip Codes In America" civil rights icon Rev Joseph Lowery decides to "take to the streets" once again in his efforts to bring CHANGE to the conditions suffered by the people living in terror.
Instead of leading a march to demand that the people who are assailing Black people cease and desist, Rev Lowery handed out brooms, trash bags and shovels and put the young people to work to clean up the street that is adorned by his name.
Sadly no reporter on site had the insight to ask Rev Lowery if his plan to raise community pride and stop the violence on the streets by REMOVING the street signs dawning the names of "Confederate War Heroes" with "heroes of our own" has WORKED?
You probably do not have the Flash Player (Get Adobe Flash Player Here) installed for your browser or the video files are misplaced on your server!
3) The Black Civil Rights Machine Has Moved On To Fighting For "Gay Rights" So They Can Continue Their Rituals Of Struggle. The Black Community Is Now Being Assaulted, On Average, By People From Within And Not Tea Party Operatives
Al Sharpton - "It Is Time To Confront Homophobia In The Black Community".
For those who are more interested in retaining unity by exercising their rituals of activism and marching - it is important that they retain their perception of forward motion by finding a relevant cause to "struggle for" in perpetuity.
As such this prevents the masses of people who now live under their past "victory" from doing an inspection of the actual deliverables received now that "favorable people" now occupy the seats that they used to "speak truth" to.
If the "right-wing" is guilty of having "minorities" put forth as part of their "Us vs Them" ranting per their dislike of "differences" then it is entirely clear that the left-wing makes use of the same constructs. The key difference is that they gain ground as they assume the seats of power and don't have to account for the shortfalls that occur among the newly 'tolerant' populace. They merely need to expand their indictment outward and go "progressing" against some entrenched right-wing opposition. As they come closer to the Pacific Ocean in their westward expansion they will be forced to turn around and begin to manage the land that they have confiscated.
4) The Hispanic Illegal Immigrant Is "The New Black"
The Black person coming up from the South and then his place as "inner city dweller" used to be the agent of focus in regards to fear of crime, taking of jobs and welfare benefits from the establishment community. Today the Hispanic Illegal immigrant now fills that role.
Things are not so clear in regards to the combatants that use the Hispanic as their football.
For those who are opposed to illegal immigration they have been called out for their hypocrisy as they make direct or indirect use of illegal immigrant labor to do "jobs that Americans won't do" for the price that is offered.
For many of those who struggle against the establishment in support of "the little guy" they are often blind to their own inconsistencies between why "American corporations" are sending jobs overseas in order to escape the labor monopoly that unions in this nation use to retain high labor rates and how their tolerance of an uncontrolled expansion of the American labor force via unregulated immigration ultimately undercuts their own position. (If they think it all the way through).
So too is the debate over "decapitated Mexicans". When the Arizona governor was unable to show evidence that headless Mexicans were found within Arizona, as proof of the violent chaos in Mexico that she says she is defending against the left wing agents in the press went on the attack against her, forcing her to "proof it" or recant her statements. Yet as several incidents of decapitations of Mexicans that HAS taken place in Texas, just a few hundred miles to the east...............the same media enforcers are SILENT about this violence. This once again proves that they "don't give a damn about no stink'in headless Mexicans'. They ONLY care about the ideological and partisan football game that is taking place in America.
5) The Black Press Is Invited Into The White House To Act As Agents Of Propaganda FOR "The Power" Rather Than Using This Opportunity To "Speak Truth To It" From The Vantage Points Of The Streets Within The Black Community
Think back to all off the previous visits by notable Black leaders in the past as they called upon the occupant of the White House
- Fredrick Douglass spoke to President Lincoln about the advancement of social justice rights for Black people. Douglass retained his stance in support of the interests of the Black community, only coming around to support Lincoln when he was sure that Lincoln was on board
- William Monroe Trotter progressive and friend of W.E.B. DuBois met with (racist progressive) President Woodrow Wilson with the hopes that by showing the president that Black people supported his election he would garner support from President Wilson to advance the cause of equal protection for Black people. President Wilson later said " "If the colored people made a mistake in voting for me, they ought to correct it."
- Asa Philip Randolph, head of the union of Black Sleeping Car Porters met with President Franklin D Roosevelt in 1941 as he threatened to hold a "March On Washington" at the time of World War II in protest of the racial segregation in the US Military and the general conditions for Black people in the nation. FDR was pressured into signing an executive order banning certain racist practices in the federal government:
"there shall be no discrimination in the employment of workers in defense industries or government because of race, creed, color, or national origin." Roosevelt also set up the Fair Employment Practices Commission to oversee the order.
- In 2010 The Progressive Black Press And Progressive Bloggers Were Invited To Meet Inside The White House With President Obama To Advance HIS Agenda Into The Black Community Using Their Voices As proof of this conclusion to the "Civil Rights struggle" this latest meeting by Progressive Black activists with the President of the United States must be characterized as the intention to advance their COMMONLY HELD IDEOLOGY into the Black community for the benefit of the defense of the Democratic Party's position nationally. The Democratic Party is an uncontested force within the Black community. Despite the fact that many of the assaults that the previous Black activists noted above still occur against our people, few of them will note that they are done more often today by people who are not motivated by "racial hatred" but by those from our own communities. These activists don't feel as compelled to go to the LOCAL seats of power in defense of their people. Instead they believe that their new found access into the upper echelon of power is proof of their advancement - in and of itself. Besides the previous occupant of the White House never saw fit to invite them.
- We only need to understand that while the differences in tone and intent of this meeting that recently transpired would have indeed been different had the "adversarial president" that left office 2 years ago, the END RESULTS WITHIN THE BLACK COMMUNITY has not changed, despite the change at the top.
- This, at least to me, proves that we no longer have a "Black Community Development Movement". Instead all of these actors have been fully consumed into the larger partisan and ideological movement within which they now operate.
- The evidence of a legitimate Black Community Development Movement is seen in the responses that are registered when a given strategy is seen to have "WON" in the areas that they have focused upon (ie: getting "favorable people to run our local schools") yet the Black community has "LOST", in that, despite this change in control over these institutions the very same results are registered. A movement that had the interests of our community - by any means necessary would begin to scrutinize the METHODOLOGY that has been followed, seeking to improve its efficacy. A movement that has been compromised, however, will be seen as fomenting a movement for these aggrieved Black voters to "VOTE HARDER" in defense of the status quo that is failing them.
For many of these individuals - this meeting with President Obama is the apex of their struggle. Indeed THEY have "made it".