I told you all before - prior to me ever knowing who Van Jones was I was introduced to him in the video "The American Injustice System". I should have also mentioned that I saw Michelle Alexander in that same documentary.
As I watched her a few weeks ago on C-SPAN I could not help but think with amazement "She actually believes this stuff that she is saying".
"Crime and drug use have not increased - the criminalization of it has" is the basic tenet of her arguments. Thus if we stop locking people up - all will be fine.
Michelle Alexander must be placed in the context of the entirety of the "machine" within she resides.
- Capitalism needs prisons for population control and to keep certain elements impoverished
- The US Government has decided that illegal drugs would be the vector by which they would be locked up
- They turn their head to the influx of drugs into the nation (of course not at the Mexican border though)
- Oppressed people turn to drugs as an escape from the mental anguish rendered upon them
- Capitalism makes money off of these people as they are locked up, offered treatment and job programs are created
The critical point is for them to construct a scheme by which people are ensnared.
Ms Alexander and other hard leftists are not able to "lead" the people forward organically. This requires them to discipline themselves by making choices that would have them develop the competencies necessary to live at the standard of living that they desire.
Instead their "permanent struggle" meme has the masses focused on FIGHTING AGAINST their adversaries. Even when they slip up and actually take over the key institutions where they live - Ms Alexander fails to note that her allies are not quickly tearing down the "conservative" and oppressive laws once they take control.